Sunday, October 20, 2013

Trials and Blessings

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world!
John 16:33

This verse has become one of my absolute favorites and one that I have to remind myself of often.  Like last weekend...several of us decided to take a trip up to Starkville and enjoy some SEC football.  We had a great time cheering on the bulldogs and just being together.  
Hail State! It was Molly, Angie, and Jenna's first college football game!


We stopped on the way home to get gas and some coffee (it's about a 2.5 hour drive) when Josh noticed that my car was smoking and leaking coolant all over the place.  After figuring out what happened and deciding to leave my car in Louisville, MS, these were the thoughts running through my head:
1. Praise the Lord that I was able to call my Dad at 12:30 am and him be able to tell me what I needed to do with my limited knowledge about cars.
2. Praise the Lord we were in a town (more or less) and not the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
3. Thank you Jesus for friends who are patient, caring, and sacrificial
4. Thank you Jesus that we were in two cars and again, friends that are willing to be slightly uncomfortable (and illegal)

Long story short, we went back on Sunday, got my car and were able to drive it home (thanks to some wise advice from our family mechanic in Georgia) and I got a brand new radiator on Monday.  Yes, it was a setback.  Yes, I got slightly frustrated when it was all going on because it was simply an inconvenience.  Yes, I was stressed because I also had several assignments to finish Sunday but instead had to deal with this car issue.  But then I remember the words of Jesus: "you will have tribulation.  But take heart; I have overcome the world!"  Nothing is bigger than Jesus.  

In children's church these past two weeks, we have been teaching about Joseph.  Joseph was definitely someone who knew about setbacks and tribulations.  However, he continued to have a good attitude and tried to see each trial as an opportunity to allow God to work and be glorified.  I need to ask the Spirit for that attitude and perspective every day.  

So whether it is car troubles, financial issues, tensions in a relationship, hardships at work, sickness, or any other tribulation, take heart! We serve the God of peace and He has overcome the world!

1 comment:

  1. Other blessings -
    You were with friends and not traveling alone on the interstate back to Georgia.
    You had the money to fix your car.
    You realize that these setbacks, while annoying, are very minor.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete