Monday, July 1, 2013

In my weakness, He is made strong

2 Corinthians 12:9 (NLT) 

"Each time he said, 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me." 

This verse kicked me in the butt while I was in Cambodia.  Although I was really enjoying my time there, I was pretty discouraged the first couple of days.  I was astounded by the work of HPC and their staff but I felt very incapable of doing much of anything; primarily because I did not speak Khmer.  I think I was used to going to Mexico and knowing enough Spanish to be able to talk to the kids and laugh and play with them.  

I shared my frustration with some of my team and Deborah reminded me of 2 Corinthians 12:9.  God is able to use us the most when we cannot rely on ourselves.  I do that so often! I look for ways to work out of my strengths, gifts, and talents as I should (1 Peter 4:10) but I forget about how God can use our weaknesses for His glory IF we allow Him to.  

I just started praying, "God, I'm at a point of desperation and need your guidance.  Work through me and in me so that these children will know that they are loved not only by me but by You."  I know I am going to be praying that prayer many times over the next year as I transition into the ESL teacher at Hazlehurst.  I will be working with a totally new group of students (PreK through 12th grade) and their families as well.  I know that every day, I will talk to parents that I may or may not understand.  But, I know that through those situations, God is the ONLY one who can receive the glory!  

1 comment:

  1. That's a great prayer for me to pray, too! God has used you and will continue to use you mightily to further His kingdom.

    ReplyDelete