Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mosquitoes and other challenges

They are everywhere!!  In fact, Mississippians joke that mosquitoes are the state bird of Mississippi.  I know however, that the mockingbird is the state bird of Mississippi.  They even have big trucks that drive around town spraying bug spray out the back to help minimize the attacks...hasn't seemed to really help though unfortunately.

Mosquitoes are only one of the challenges I know I will face this summer as I acclimate to this new environment and community.  I found out today that I will be teaching PreK this summer during Institute.  So, for the next four weeks, I will be teaching an age group that absolutely terrifies me.  I worked with 4 year olds at the Child Development Center at Berry for a few weeks during Christmas break but I never had to actually teach them and prepare them for Kindergarten.  Since I'll be teaching 3rd grade in the fall, it will be quite a change.  I know that TFA will support me and help prepare me throughout the experience but it is still scary!

I shared in my last post about the awesome people I have had the opportunity to meet and the differences that we share.  Most of these people come from completely different backgrounds than I do, including religious backgrounds.  I have been very blessed so far to have met a group of girls that will all be teaching in Hazlehurst with me next year that seem to all love the Lord and I am so thankful for those relationships.  I am looking forward to developing those relationships even more and working together to serve and minister to other TFA corps members as well as the Delta community.

One other challenge that I am anticipating this summer is the craziness and tight schedule.  I have to be up every morning and loading the bus that takes me to Belzoni, MS at 5:55 AM!! Past corps members have told us that institute is one of the most stressful and challenging times of the two year commitment and I'm hoping that my education background and organizational ability will help me stay on top of everything.  I just need to remember the importance of taking care of myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Please pray with me that the Lord will strengthen me throughout the next 5 weeks and that I will work relentlessly to learn all that I can during Institute.  Also pray for the relationships that I will be building; that they will be edifying in the Word and that I will continue to grow more towards Christ-likeness.  Pray that I will use this opportunity to be challenged, step out of my comfort zone, and really explore the kind of impact I can have through teaching for the Kingdom.

With all of that being said, words of encouragement and scripture are always greatly appreciated!  My mailing address for the summer is:
Alyssa Nobles/Teach for America
Delta State University
Box B4
1003 West Sunflower Rd.
Cleveland, MS 38733

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Alyssa! Keep an eye out of my niece, Chandler Whatley. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete